Monday 30 June 2014

When I go for a run

It does get a bit frustrating sometimes, being unable to just go out of the camp for a walk, climb a couple of nearby hills, follow the closest river. It’s absolute wilderness out there, with lions and crocs and elephants behind every corner. And I don’t have a permission for carrying a rifle with me. So I am basically stuck in the camp when I’m not on the field. Which doesn’t really improve your physique,  sitting at the desk for 5 days a week.

Thus, I consider my options (that are very few)
1. work out in an improvised fitness studio (which is a blanket on the floor of my room), using my own heaviness to carry out the toughest of the weight-lifting exercises
2. run around the (small) football court just outside the camp fence
3. risk my own – and someone else’s – life and run further, on the road going through the whole cluster of accommodations, surrounded by thick bush crowded with African wildlife

I avoid the first option as often as I can, and usually try number 3. I got more and more courageous and actually ran alone for a couple of times. I avoided late afternoon hours, when things start crawling out of the bushes, and it worked pretty well. I only met a couple of vehicles and sometimes even some park staff members on foot. 

One day, though, I re-considered solo-run. I’m practically wearing biologists’ goggles all the time. Meaning, I see the world differently, I look for signs, tracks, marks, structure, forms, life. Everywhere, always. So it happened I noticed these perfect (and fresh) tracks in the dust by the road, not far from the camp’s fence. Lion, or at least leopard (but I say a lion). Exciting!!! But hey, worrying too.

Next day, my (worried) friend voluntarily joined me and as we began running I enthusiastically started explaining where I had seen the tracks and how I was sure we’d find them again. Still in the vicinity of the camp, looking at the dust at my feet not to miss the pawmarks, full of fresh spleen, I suddenly got pulled back. A glance was enough to send me darting back to the camp. 
There was a massive elephant bull just in front of us – we were about to run into it if it wasn't for my friend alertness. So the run had to finish before it even started.

For a while, I (we) were discouraged, and it happened that my companion left before we could re-gain our self-assurance. Which brings me back to the beginning – I’m on my own now.

Today, after hours of computer work, I thought I’d have to accept the fitness option after all. There was a family of tranquil zebras in the middle of the football court that clearly didn’t want to be disturbed, especially by a sound of a rusty lead locomotive, so no. 2 was difficult. After deciding to be rudely inconsiderate, invading their privacy and feeling honestly bad about it, it turned out they were not even bothered by me. Well, the baby got up, its mother’s eyes stayed glued on me for the first 3 loops, but by the round 5, everyone was busy chilling again. So there I was, running around zebras.
:)



Until I heard trees breaking. And saw majestic white tusks contrasting the green foliage.

And I was gone again, sprinting to the safety of my room and to the option number one.

1 comment: