Thursday 13 March 2014

Hellabrunn vs. Kruger

Kruger. The capital of South African Reserves, famous around the world for offering its visitors an experience of Africa’s most pristine heritage. On an area almost as big as my home country, there’s something for everyone. From fancy lodges with fresh jasmine-scented linen to bush camping in the vicinity of rough dirt roads, from private safaris to 5-day hiking trips. But above all, the vast landscapes of most beautiful and bizarre wildlife. Banana bats, giant rats, bushbabies, clawless otters, pangolins and elephant shrews, to name only a few (besides the obvious, of course).

All that could have been my everyday life, since Sunday. It hurt too much so I decided to find at least a piece of that wonderful part of the world here – in the middle of Europe. Sounds impossible, but hey, it’s like roleplaying. Pretending to be driving in a 4x4 Toyota, searching for leopards in the tall grass. With binoculars at hand and the camera with the bigger objective on, ready to shoot. Oh, and I shouldn’t forget to mention the Field guide of African Mammals lying on my lap, full of bookmarks for “I want to see that one” species.

Did it work? Well, I got close enough. I visited the local ZOO.

I had to walk, and there were red squirrels and mallards - not really two typical African species - everywhere (not to mention all the lousy people with their drooling brood). And it smelled of pommes and sweet popcorn. Still, I wouldn't call it a failure. I got glanced by a wild dog and witnessed fight for the "kill" of the two teenage lions (that lasted exactly 2 seconds and did not involve any physical interaction, just a few angry cat noises). Made some nice pics and got to try out my new bins which brought things much closer and revealed some nasty personal details, like a face wound of a snow leopard, or the bare face of a bare-faced ibis.


Wasn’t exactly Africa, but someone told me Kruger isn’t going anywhere. Who knows, maybe one day I get another invitation for a scientific meeting in South African’s largest natural reserve. Maybe. One day.


No comments:

Post a Comment